In 1896 John Morrison, a respected contractor of the time, built a baronial villa for himself in Pollokshields, namely, The Sherbrooke Castle, designed by Thomson and Sandylands. It is a good example of the type of house built by the middle-class in the rather decadent, late Victorian period. It has a number of unusual features. The rooms are arranged around three sides of a large hall and staircase.
The external baronialism is, in some ways, an added romantic touch. During World War 11 the house was used by the Royal Navy and is one of the only properties in the area to have the original iron railings surrounding the grounds, it's high square tower is one of the best known local landmarks.
After the war, the house became a Hotel and is now best known as The Sherbrooke Castle Hotel.
Morrison’s Restaurant has been named in memory of John Morrison, who, along with his partner Thomas Mason built The Sherbrooke Castle.
The architect Robert Sandylands was the son of a wood merchant from Lesmahagow who arrived in Glasgow in the 1870's to become a pupil of local architect, Alexander Petrie. He stayed with Petrie from March 1875 to September 1880, during which time he was awarded a Certificate of Honour by the RIBA for measured drawings of Dunblane Cathedral (March 1880). To broaden his experience, he travelled to Paris where he trained at the Ecole des Beaux Arts, under Professor Gaudet for five years from October 1880. While in Paris, he took the opportunity to travel on the Continent, sketching and absorbing local architectural styles. On his return to Scotland, he entered a partnership with John Thomson (1859-1933) from around 1888 the pair produced a wide range of high quality work in and around Glasgow, most of it with Beaux Arts flavour.
His partner John Thomson was from a distinguished architectural background being the eldest son of Alexander (Greek) Thomson. He was apprenticed to Robert Turnbull, his father's last partner, after his father's death. Following his apprenticeship, he studied under R.Phene Spiers from 1881 at the R.A.Schools in London. Thereafter, he worked for a time with William Flockhart, the London-based Scot. He began business on his own account in 1886 and formed a partnership with Robert Douglas Sandylands from 1888 after being refused re-admission to his father's old firm.