The Old Waverley Hotel In Edinburgh’s World Heritage Site

And the Winner of the 2 Night Stay For 2 At The Fabulous Old Waverley Hotel in Edinburgh is…

Congratulations to Scott Abercrombie and thank you to everyone who took the time to enter. Also, a big thank you to the very kind people at the Old Waverley Hotel for offering this fantastic prize. Next time you are visiting Edinburgh please book a stay at the central, friendly and stylish Old Waverley Hotel.

The Old Waverley Hotel is part of the The Edinburgh Collection, a portfolio of some of the best hotels in Edinburgh. Located in the heart of Scotland’s capital, the Edinburgh Collection hotels offer a range of the accommodation for both leisure and business visitors to the city.

The Old Waverley is a fabulous hotel that sits in the middle of Edinburgh’s UNESCO World Heritage Site. The 3-Star Old Waverley Hotel is located at 43 Princes Street, the main thoroughfare in Edinburgh’s New Town. From this fantastic location, The Old Waverley Hotel looks out over Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh Castle and Edinburgh’s Old Town , which is only 5 minutes walk away. The UNESCO World Heritage Site includes the Georgian New Town and the Gothic Old Town of Edinburgh.

Old Waverley Exterior

Bedroom

This entry was posted in Edinburgh World Heritage Site, The Old Waverley Hotel Competition. Bookmark the permalink.

472 Responses to The Old Waverley Hotel In Edinburgh’s World Heritage Site

1. Georgia Duncan says:

Kaiser Chiefs in concert would make my year! Love them and would be fab to see Edinburgh.

• Ian Jamieson says:

Thanks Georgia. They are playing on the 9th Feb at the HMV Picture House.

Entries can be anything at all that’s happening in Edinburgh in 2012 that’s a 15 minute walk from The Old Waverley. The Kaiser Chiefs is just one event from thousands to choose from.

• fay cross says:

I have no preference, never been to Scotland but heard alot about the Military Tattoo, would be lovely not been able to afford a break since 2006 but this is one of the places i would love to visit

• Ada MacLeod says:

Sunday 29th at 6pm

St Giles’ at Six

A Concert for Homelessness Sunday in association with the Bethany Christian Trust

Cantica Alba

Michael Harris – Director

A programme of madrigals, part-songs and folksong arrangements.

This would be my dream event!

2. Gordon Stewart. says:

Inspite of having lived in the USA for the last 25+ years, I have had the abosulte pleasure of visiting Scotland many times and now happily find myself living here! For me, the one event which encapsultes and showcases everything Scottish, must be the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo…it’ll “Haste ye’ back” again, and again!

3. victoria cosgrove says:

id love to go to the tattoo and take my brother just back from afganistan

4. Evelyn Johnston says:

I try to get to the Edinburgh Festival every year to see the street performers and take in a show. I have seen many different acts like the Taiko drummers.

5. MARIA says:

Grassmarket’s Art market for part of the Jazz Fastival, in July, complete with vintage hair parlour!

6. aelys costello says:

I would love to come to see the edinburgh festival fringe in August and take my best friend with me as she has been dying to come to edinburgh and due to illness last year we couldnt make it. At the same time we could fit in the Edinburgh military tattoo and hopefully lots of other excitings things that were taking place. Also as the waverley is central and she has problems walking due to hip problems this would mean that everything was very central. not too much walking involved.

7. Gordon Kynaston says:

I would say the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo – we used to go every year.

8. claire says:

Looking ahead. I’ve always wanted to visit the Christmas markets in Edinburgh. I hear there is one at Princess Street Gardens, which would be nice to visit.

The tattoo would also be great to see, especially as they are celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee this year and the year of creative Scotland.

9. aelys costello says:

The other event I would love to take my best buddy to would be the edinburgh international festival. Opera.. Fireworks… what more could one ask for? good company of a best friend… nice accomodation and the posibility of eating haggis..mmm

10. The one event would have to be…… The Frightened Rabbit concert at the picture house in February… Already got my tickets booked! One of my favourite bands on the planet and spectacular live, particularly in front of a home crowd!

Although would also fit in the Caddel exhibition at Gallery of Modern Art 2, the newly re-opened Scottish Portrait Gallery and also the Scotsman Steps!

11. Kim Youngs says:

I love Endingburgh and about 2 years ago l stayed in August and went to the Tattoo, and the festival fringe was on and what a great time l had. I have a great friend who unfortunately has never visited Scotland and would love to take her to the Tattoo and festival

12. mandy slater says:

Kaiser Chiefs in concert please !

13. karen latif says:

the book festival combining my love of books with all things scottish!

14. Andrew Thomson says:

The mighty Hearts coming along Princes St on an open top bus after winning The Scottish Cup (again).

15. Neil Molyneux says:

I would love to see the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival. I love jazz and the blues and think Edinburgh would be a great place to see it.

16. jane sparrow says:

A chance to go the Book Festival – brilliant!

17. Laura Martin says:

I went to the Tattoo last year for the first time and absolutely loved it so would like to go again. Who, as a proud Scot, can resist the massed pipe bands. I also loved the street entertainers on the Royal Mile and the great buzz about the place.

18. Marycarol says:

Love Edinburgh and have been a few time but not for tattoo so would love to see that!

19. Sarah-Jane Laycock says:

Have always watched the Tattoo on television in awe and can only but imagine how wonderful it would be to actually be sitting in that audience. Fabulous prize, thank you

20. Cheryl Cunniff says:

I’d love to visit Edinburgh and see the Olympic torch procession. That’s not something we’ll see again in this country probably and I bet the events being laid on will be spectacular!

21. Phil Greenwoood says:

For me it would have to be the Comedy Festival. Something I have always wanted to attend but never managed it as yet…..

22. Cheryl Cunniff says:

I’m also a glutton for punishment and love Christmas – the cold weather and wrapping up warm while you’re out is my favourite thing so if I visit Edinburgh in December I’d love to visit when you switch your Christmas lights on.

23. Cheryl Cunniff says:

And one last thing – I’d like to come and watch Of Mice and Men – and maybe I could watch theatre anywhere but I’ve never been to Edinburgh before so to be honest I’d just like to come and sample all it has to offer.

24. Amanda Sutherland says:

So many great things to see and do, but the current top of the list would be Taste Edinburgh. Scottish food is the best, it’s in summer so a slim chance of decent weather, but before the mad Festival crowds descend!

25. Lyndsay Robertson says:

I would love to go to the Edinburgh Tattoo. My husband went when he was younger and absolutely loved it, he mentioned a few days ago that he would have to take me soon. The Old Waverley looks like such a lovely hotel too, it would be a great weekend :)

26. Ian Brooks says:

I am looking forward to a quite unusual event taking place on Arthur’s Seat the Extinct Volcano. It is called NVA Speed of Light.
    In August 2012, up to 5,000 runners will have the chance of a lifetime – to run a choreographed route around Arthur’s Seat at night in specially constructed light suits. The stunning visual results will be viewed by a ticketed audience from the summit of the hill every night as part of Edinburgh International Festival.
    Sounds fantastic eh??

27. Hazel Wright says:

I’d like the chance to get to Edinburgh for any event any time! I’ve never been! However if I have to choose I guess that Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival would be the one most suited to me! The thing is that even if there was no event on, I could spend a week happily stomping the streets of Edinburgh and exploring every nook and cranny and castle and museum and park and looking at buildings etc etc I’m just always curious and keen to explore, life’s one big adventure! Thanks for the comp!

28. gordon says:

Edinburgh Military Tattoo the last time i was there was 50 years a go

29. andrew says:

the tattoo would be great to see!

30. NATALIE GOATLEY says:

I would say the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo – My best friend tells me she loves it.

31. Yin Lee says:

The street performers in the month of August on the High Street (Royal Mile). Always love the idea that you pay for what you think the entertainment is worth.

32. Susan Kidston says:

For me it would the Edinburgh Film Festival in Lothian Road, you never know who might be attending, or who you might meet and who knows, they may be staying in The Old Waverley Hotel too!

33. Claire Simpson says:

Oh… Brilliant competition. Would have to be the Kaiser Chiefs in concert for me too!!

34. Kaz Wright says:

I would love to go to the militay tattoo with my OH!

35. Kathryn Hill says:

I’d love to see the Comedy Festival. Always up for a good giggle!

36. Iain Riddle says:

Any random comedy show at the fringe, best way to find new talent.

37. Chris Campbell says:

Th Edinburgh Fringe to take in some comedy

38. Donna Sadler says:

I hope this will count as a valid entry but to just experience celebrating Hogmannay in Edinburgh would be fantastic!!! Thats bound to be taking place within 15 minutes walk of the hotel 😉 lol xx

39. Elizabeth Sellers says:

The Book Festival

40. Ross W says:

I love the performers taking my eye away from the superb Royal Mile during the world-famous Edinburgh Festival. There’s so many things to see and do during the summer in Edinburgh but when the festival wheels into town, it’s one heck of a madhouse, giving the city a real vibe, a heartbeat.

41. Jane Dale-Beaumont says:

I have never visited Edinburgh, would love to as the architecture is awesome.

42. Lin Martin says:

I would love to thee the Keiser Chiefs, I have their CD in my car constantly which annoys my 7 yr old son as he is now fed up with it. But I LOVE it. Fingers crossed this would be a lovely break for me and my husband to celebrate our beleated 10 yr wedding anniversary, couldnt afford it last year so we are hoping we can this year if money allows. Good luck to everyone

43. Jane Dale-Beaumont says:

If i visited Edinburgh, i would love to see the Military Tattoo live, seen it on the tv many times.

44. Jane Dale-Beaumont says:

Fabulous looking hotel, Taste festival would be high on my list of to do’s Scottish raspberries to die for and beautiful seafood.

45. Vanessa Crowley says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

46. Jane Dale-Beaumont says:

I love castles and with Edinburgh castle being 5 minutes from the hotel, i could certainly ‘lose’ a good few hours :)

47. Jane Dale-Beaumont says:

I need to walk the cobbled streets
    with history beneath my feet
    tasty food , so much to see
    this fabulous prize was made for me.

48. nikki hilton says:

that would have to be the Kaiser Chiefs:)

49. Phil Darling says:

I’d loveto be part of the Edinburgh Fringe in August – I’m a big fan of comedy, buthave so far never been able to attend. To be able to stroll from club to pub to bus shelter and experience it all would be comedic heaven

50. EMMA CELLA says:

JLS in concert would make ME SO HAPPY! Love them and would be fab to see Edinburgh.

51. EMMA CELLA says:

sorry I meant Kaiser Chiefs in concert

52. Emma Gallagher says:

I went to Edinburgh for my honeymoon and would love to go back there!. The thing I would most like to see would be Edinburgh Tattoo as I think it would be amazing.

53. Keith Nicol says:

I’d like to bring my son over from Spain to visit the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival in July. It looks like a fun event for both of us, and as he is only eleven and has never been to Scotland, it would give him a chance to see the city, enjoy some live music and explore the city with his camera.

He’s a quarter Scottish so it would be a great opportunity for him to discover something about his grandfather, his Scottish Heritage and find out all about the Tartan industry too. I’m sure something is happening within just a few minutes of the Hotel, if not inside it!

54. Averil Weir says:

Would have to be the Tattoo for me too, would love to see it live!

55. Allan Buck says:

The Classic Rock Show at The Queen’s Hall on the 28th of this month. Google says it’s 18 minutes walk, so I’ll walk very briskly to bring it down to 15. And I’ll bring my own air-guitar – obviously.

56. Jay Scales says:

Definitely the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo – we visited Edinburgh in September last year just as everything was being taken down!

57. Linda Lawson says:

I would love to see the Royal Edinburgh MilitaryTattoo and spend time in the beautiful city of Edinburgh.

58. Sally Smith says:

I’d like to go to the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues festival!

59. liz denial says:

I’d love to visit the Edinburgh Mela Festival

67. liz denial says:

I’d love to see Dirty Dancing at the Edinburgh playouse

68. liz denial says:

I’d love to see Good Mourning Mrs brown at the edinburgh playhouse

69. Kev Laing says:

It would have to be the Military Tattoo, friends and family have been and told me it’s totally brilliant,have been to Edinburgh a couple of times in the past and found it to be
    breathtaking, felt safe walking around, people extremly friendly & helpful

70. Paul Howie Roberts says:

Without a doubt, the Book Festival. My other half works in publishing and what better way to combine work with pleasure? I’m already eagerly awaiting the publication of the list of attending writers in June but would, of course, welcome any insider information that you may already have…!

71. Chris Jones says:

I haven’t been to the fringe for a number of years. I would like to come back with my girlfriend who has never been.

72. melanie crumpton says:

Yep, Tattoo for me too

73. VICKI CULLEN says:

The Royal Military Tattoo although i dont live too far away still havent seen this been told its a must see

74. Sean o hare says:

Would have to be the best fire show in Europe – the Beltane Fire Festival at start of May – brilliant mad and very creative in the heart of Edinburgh!

75. ann carline says:

A would really love to see the Military Tattoo

76. Rebecca Underwood says:

I would absolutely love to come see some shows at the Edinburgh Festival, it is something i have wanted to do for years!!!

77. james wood says:

Hogmanay fireworks

78. Diane says:

The fringe festival would be mint for many reasons, one being by OH could pick up some new material 😉

79. julie robins says:

would love to see the Military Tattoo

80. Luke Powell says:

Definately the fringe festival, such a great time in a fantastically friendly place.
    And though it’s not an event, the camera obscura near the castle is also not to be missed!

81. shelleyjessup says:

The Military Tattoo as I’ve got a military background & nearly all my friends have been to see it but not me!

82. Michelle McCulloch says:

I am embarrassed to say, I have never been to the tattoo ! I hope that 2012 will be the year I do.

83. Samantha Deakin says:

Oh my God! I would love to see the Kaiser Chiefs. Amazing.

84. jo maxted says:

im gona have to say Kaiser Chiefs just coz my hubby wud love me 4eva lol xx

85. pat snelgrove says:

Beltane Fire Festival sounds fab and would love to see it

86. Elemy says:

Kaiser Chiefs – just love them!!!

87. Ashleigh says:

Great prize – i love Edinburgh! I would love to go and see Dirty Dancing at the playhouse in 2012 with the girls! Would make a great girly day out!

88. Ashleigh says:

I went to the Taste food festival last year and the previous year and loved it, definatley wont be missing it this year either its fab!

89. Ashleigh says:

Cant beat the christmas markets in edinburgh – will definately be doing winter wonderland with our kids this christmas!

90. Ashleigh says:

Never been to hogmany in edinburgh – would love to do it in 2012!

91. Ashleigh says:

My husband loves the kaiser chiefs so would love to go and see them with him in 2012 – it would make me a very popular wife!

92. Ashleigh says:

I haven’t been to Edinburgh Castle for years so would love to take the kids this year!

93. Ashleigh says:

Would love to go the Edinburgh Jazz Festival to hear some great music – a bit of a differnt night out for us!

94. george says:

love to see a braveheart reenactment along princess street before the referendom

95. Ashleigh says:

Would love to attend the Book Festival in 2012 – would be great to take the kids to some of the childrens events at this festival. Would have loved to have saw Julia donaldson last year but didnt make it!

96. Vicky Finney says:

I’d love to go to the Tattoo. That’s something I’d love to see, as is Edinburgh. x

97. Ashleigh says:

have never been to the edinburgh fringe but me and my husband would love to go in 2012 to see some new comedians!

98. Ashleigh says:

Dont know too much about the Edinburgh International Film Festival but my sister has been before and says its great so this year it would be great if she took me!

99. Ashleigh says:

I’ve heard alot of good things about the Edinburgh Mela so would love to attend that too!

100. Ashleigh says:

The kids would love to see fireworks so will need to keep an eye out to find out the dates for the Virgin Money Fireworks Concert near the Castle – what a great place to have it!

101. Ashleigh says:

Would like to see what the Edinburgh International Science Festival has to offer for kids – we have been to the Science Musuem in glasgow and we all loved it so this should be interesting!

102. Wen Dalby says:

I would love to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival i love a good laugh and this seems the best place to do it. Good food, fantastic scenery and a belly full of laughs what more could me and hubby ask for.

103. Heather pitt says:

Daughter and I would love to see The Kaiser Chiefs because we’re rock chicks!!

104. Haydee Bell says:

I would love to go to the Edinborough Fringe Festival – oh my what fun I’d have and what a year it’d be :)

105. Mel Fraser says:

It has to be the Kaiser Chiefs, me and my boyfriend love them! xx

106. Mel Fraser says:

Also would love to go the the Edinburgh Fringe Festival as i’m a big comedy fan xx

107. Mrs Marian Fievez says:

I have such great memories of the Tattoo, and would love to visit and see this again.

108. nicola obrien says:

The Edinburgh Tatoo

109. Claire Nelson says:

I spend every night reading my son at least a couple of books (short ones!) so I would really like to attend the Scottish International Storytelling Festival and as a huge added bonus I could go along with one of my best friends who lives in Edinburgh and also spends her evenings reading to her family!

110. Louisa Gamble says:

Would love to see either the Beltane festival in April or the Samhuinn fire festival in October: there is something special about fire processions that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

111. Suzette McGhee says:

I would love to come for the Running Festival in May.
    If I win this lovely prize, I will train for the 10k!
    The day before the race took place I’d take in all the sights
    The Old Waverley’s perfectly placed for Edinburgh’s delights
    Running through Auld Reekie, I’d feel like such a winner
    Afterwards in Cranston’s I would have a lovely dinner
    A cheeky wee Prosecco to toast the bonny city
    Cosmopolitan, cultural, historic and so pretty
    Then I’d sleep in the comfy bed, happily wined and dined
    And travel back home the following day, leaving my heart behind

112. laura cope says:

I would love to see the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. I am from a military family and I my late husband was in the armed forces. Always makes me so proud to see our Armed Forces showcasing there very many skills. It would be amazing with the added backdrop of such a beautiful city.

113. nderson says:

I know I have a whole year to wait but the traditional German Christmas Market on Princes St -warmed by a glass of mulled wine!

114. Geoff D says:

Porgy and Bess at the Edinburgh Festival Theatre sounds good to me.

Thanks

115. Sheila Sloan says:

I would love to go to the Edinburgh Fringe.

116. I would absolutely love to ‘bring in the bells’ at Hogmanay in Edinburgh. I have never been at that time of the year and it looks brilliant. The atmosphere would be electric and the whole ambience of Edinburgh is very welcoming and multi cultural. People from all over the world come here to celebrate. Hogmanay celebrations have put Edinburgh on the map amongst other things.

117. susan gray says:

I would go to Edinburgh International Book Festival ,
    Geeky though it maybe.
    To stay at the Waverley Hotel (right next to the train station),
    would make my vacation.

118. Jennifer Higgins says:

Book festival and whatever else takes my fancy.

119. Carl says:

Would love to see the Tattoo. Been living in Scotland for 11 years now, and still haven’t been able to go to Edinburgh while it’s on. Fingers crossed for this year.

120. Philippa Whitworth says:

I have always wanted to celebrate Hogmany in Edinburgh on the Royal Mile.

121. John Lynch says:

I would love to go see some shows at the Fringe, I haven’t been to Edinburgh for well over a decade, really need to rectify that.

122. Philippa Whitworth says:

The Christmas Continental Markets in Edinburgh always get you in the Christmas mood.

123. Marta P says:

I’d love to see the royal military tattoo

124. Marta P says:

I’d look to see Kaiser Chiefs

125. Silvia says:

I would go to as many fringe events as possible.

126. Stephen Owens says:

I would love to go to the Fringe festival as I am a big comedy fan

127. andrew says:

would love to see kaiser chiefs

128. andrew says:

I’d love to see the Edinburgh Jazz & Blues festival

137. andrew says:

would love to visit Edinburgh Castle

138. andrew says:

i’d love to see the street performers on the Royal Mile in August

139. John McNamee says:

It is many years since I have been to the Tattoo and think I would enjoy it again

140. Nancy Forbes says:

Of course I’d loe the tattoo but also – not exactly and “event” I’d love to spend at least and entire day in General Register House – to help go back further in my family tree – and its minutes walk from Waverly !

141. Liesl says:

Never been to Edinburgh during Hogmanay, would love to experience this.

142. Judith R... says:

I’d most like to see The Book Festival.

143. CARYNE PEARCE says:

I’d like to see The Monochrome Set who are playing at The Voodoo Rooms on Saturday 7th April. A brilliant band who have been favourites of my husband and me for well over thirty years.

144. Alison Waldock says:

Would love to bring my son to the International Science Festival.

145. Ronan says:

I’d love to go to the Jazz and Blues Festival. I love Jazz, Blues and Scotland, and I’d really like to go back to Scotland and stay at the Waverley, which looks great.

146. Caroline B says:

It has to be the Fringe Festival! My partner and I stopped off in Edinburgh just for the day on our way up to a wedding last year – and just the few hours we spent there were magical, almost didn’t make the wedding!?

147. Lynne Huffam says:

I’ve always wanted to attend the Edinburgh Festival and fringe!

148. Chas Gilbert says:

Never been to any shows at the Edinburgh Festival so I would like to do that!

149. Liz Waterlow says:

I would most like to see the The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

150. Margaret Akel says:

Royal Edinburgh Military tattoo, heard so much about it but never had the oportunity till now

151. Rhoda says:

I’d love to go to the Tattoo – I can’t believe I’ve never been! Surely every Scot should go at least once?!

152. Melanie McNair says:

I’d love to see the spectacular Edinburgh Military Tattoo. It would be amazing

153. Krzysztof Runowski says:

I’ve never been to Scotland but would love to visit Edinburgh one day as I heard (and see on the photos) it is fabulous. I guess it is like that especially during Edinburgh Festival in August and that would be my event of choice :)

154. SANDRA BEATTIE says:

I remember many years ago my Mum going on a “bus run” with loads of friends through to Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo, and always wishing I was there
    My husband and I watch it on the telly and the atmosphere is amazing but to be there would be a dream, really tugs at the heart strings

155. Liz Simpson says:

It’s my husband’s 70th birthday this year, and I’d love to take him to the Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo as a special surprise – he enjoyed it so much when we went in 1998.

156. Keira Dempsey says:

The Beltane Fire Festival would get me all fired up!

157. Carol Carroll says:

I would love to see the Militry Tattoo -It had been booked last year but I had to miss it as I was in hospital having major heart surgery, so this year would be wonderful as well as the 2 night stay, that would make it more enjoyable.

158. lesley worrall says:

I would love to to take in the Edinburgh Tattoo again. I ‘vaguely’ remember being taken there when I was a small child and would love to re-visit with my husband.

159. Mary M says:

I would to walk up the radical road again to take in the wonderful views.then wander around the street entertainment during th Festival.

160. David Paterson says:

The Military Tattoo

161. Peter Salthouse says:

I would love to see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

162. Luisa Lauren says:

I would love to see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo x

163. OLGA PALTRINIERI says:

I would love to be in Edinburgh for 2012 Nwe Year’s eve!

164. Ashleigh says:

Would love to spend some time on the royal mile to see the talented street performers

165. Kerry Black says:

On the esplanade.
    Where the pipes are played,
    There’s a Military Tattoo.
    It would be no hassle,
    To walk to the castle,
    If I won your Waverley prize for two!

166. wolfman says:

military tatoo would be good 2 see

167. Craig Johnson says:

The Royal Military Tattoo would be good to see, just been to Edinburgh for the first time to see Ed Sheeran and really enjoyed it, only stayed one night but would love to go back again and look round the castle as well

168. Cathy says:

The International Book Festival for me. With any luck I’d get to see some of the fabulous modern Scottish writers I admire.

169. PATRICIA LLOYD says:

I would like to attend the Military Tattoo

170. Ian McGuire says:

I’d love to go to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August. It’s gotta be a good laugh hasn’t it?

171. Rachel Broad says:

Kevin Bridges doing standup

172. Graham Gulliver says:

I would have to take my wife to the Edinburgh International Book Festival. Might need an extra suitcase to take the books home though!

173. Linda Revell says:

I never been to Scotland and have always wanted to see the Edinburgh Military Tattoo such a fantastic spectacle that I’ve only seen on television and the Real Mary Kings Close, it looks so spooky!

174. Julie Hogg says:

It would have to be Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

175. jane Oholleran says:

I’d love to go to the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

176. Claire Stroud says:

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival – the biggest most wonderful arts festival in the world. I love the atmosphere and good will in the air, thousands of people with one aim – having a great time. I love finding interesting and unusual performance events. I love revisiting works that are old favourites. I love seeing people in the street and thinking I know them, only for the penny to drop and I realising I “know” them from the telly. (oops!) I love the fact that there are bars open until 5am and yet everyone manages to have fun without succumbing to excess. I love the Edinburgh locals for their generous, friendly nature and pride in their city.

In fact, I love EVERYTHING the festival brings.

177. Steven Blackburn says:

I would love to visit Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival

178. Lynn Brown says:

It’s got to be the Tattoo, I have heard from others how wonderful it is. A “must do” life event.

179. Andrew Stewart says:

Edinburgh Festival in August. Love it. Could spend a whole day at Pleasance Courtyard.

180. Linda Gray says:

I want to soak up the atmosphere in Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival in 2012.

181. Solange says:

I’d love to visit the Edinburgh International Book Festival

182. russ davidson says:

It would have to be the Military Tattoo.I watch it every year on television.

183. clair downham says:

would love to watch the comedy festival

184. clair downham says:

the edniburgh royal tatoo would be awesome

185. Laura Martin says:

The Edinburgh International Book Festival would be a must for me

186. Laura Martin says:

Taste of Edinburgh sounds fabulous for a foodie like me!

187. Irene Hunter says:

I’ve been to the Edinburgh Festivals many times but haven’t yet seen the Military Tattoo so that would be my choice for this year!

188. AMANDA LETCH says:

I would love to see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo :) x

189. Helena Williams says:

Would love to visit Edinburgh for the Fringe!

190. Helena H says:

I’ve been to Edinburgh every summer for 18 years to the Fringe but I’ve never been to the tattoo. I’ve also never been up Arthurs seat or eaten a deep fried mars bar. I really should tick them all off my list.

191. Kerry Black says:

In April, I’ll be heading off to The Usher Hall,
    I’m off to see The Osmonds, the greatest band of all.
    It’s a wondrous refurbished theatre with a magical dome above,
    For one night I can act like a teenager-it’s not just “Puppy Love!”

192. phillippa lee says:

I would love to go to the Fascinating Mummies exhibition at the Museum of Scotland which i think is walkable from the hotel.

193. maureen quinnell says:

noel gallagher at edinburgh castle

194. maureen quinnell says:

would love to see any fringe event

195. Susan Ellams says:

I would love to see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

196. Paul Williams says:

We would love to go to the Royal Highland Show. However, to see something within a walk of the hotel I would give a different answer and simply say Sunday morning – a stroll along Princess Street and around the city centre

197. Tracy Davidson says:

I would like to see Joan Armatrading perform at Usher Hall in November. She has an amazing voice.

198. Tracy Davidson says:

Frankie Boyle at the Playhouse! I really miss him on Mock the Week and would love to see him live.

199. sean thompson says:

have to say been to Edinburgh a couple of times but havent seen half the stuff thats going on – can i only pick one thing – there are so many id love to see

200. Vicky Mac says:

Lived in Edinburgh for over 15 years now and never been to the tattoo – really need to go this year as I am sure a lone piper apprearing on the castle will make me cry (my friend told me that she was so enchanted by the whole event that she started crying when he started playing….!!)

201. Sue Smyth says:

I would love to visit Edinburgh with my husband and see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo – it always looks so exciting.

202. Helen Coburn says:

I have never been to Edinburgh and would love to visit sometime :-)

203. Nigel Wymer says:

I would love to go to the Edinburgh fringe again. I last went with my best friend from school when I was about 17 – that was a long time ago. To give you a clue it was in the 70’s. We had a fantastic time and saw an incredibly diverse range of events. I keep telling my wife how good it was and how I’d like to go again – this time with her. Maybe if I won this……

204. Graeme Macmillan says:

For me the event which characterises Scotland and all of its links is the Tattoo – a chance to see this would be splendid.

205. RACHEL BABER says:

I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting Edinburgh since the 1986 Commenwealth Games and my husband has never even been to Scotland!! We would love to visit and to go to The Royal Highland Show.

206. Helen Stratton says:

I think the Royal Highland Show would be really interesting.

207. Mr Cooper says:

Edinburgh Fringe Festival, just to drink in the magic of Edinburgh

208. Tony Weston says:

Kaiser chiefs in concert

209. Richard Hopewell says:

As a confirmed bibliophile, The Book Festival would be unmissable !

210. Tom Dimond says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo – Went when i was a young lad – and really enjoyed it – would like to take my boy.

211. Liz A says:

Katherine Jenkins at the Playhouse this week!

212. clair bendle says:

I would love to see dara obriain at the Edinburgh playhouse on friday 25th May because laughter is the best medicine for everything

213. Tracy Davidson says:

Chris Rea at Usher Hall in March.

214. Tracy Davidson says:

And Curtis Stigers is performing at Queens Hall in March.

215. Angela Lithgow MacLean says:

The Military Tattoo would be my choice. I live just outside Edinburgh for 21years and didn’t manage to get to it once. Did enjoy some of the other Fringe events though.

216. Melanie Jones says:

Seeing Edinburgh’s legendary New Year’s Eve Celebrations first hand would be amazing.

217. david cavender says:

I would love to spend Hogmany in Edinburgh. I have seen it many times with Jools Holland’s Hootenanny. Always seems enthralling and always a friendly crowd.

218. Ian Jamieson says:

Hello, it would be nice to see Mary Magdalene chapel in the Cowgate and the famous Queen Mary of Scots window, which I last saw 12years a go.

219. Michelle Barron says:

I am most looking forward to the Edinburgh Rock n Roll half marathon. I am raising money for a good cause and getting fit, everyones a winner!

220. Susan Martin says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo would be the event I would choose, I last went in the late eighties with my dear Gran. This would bring back loads of lovely memories of the Tattoo and my childhood

221. A Leitch says:

Would love to go to Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo :)

222. A Leitch says:

Edinburgh Festival Fringe would be fantastic :)

223. A Leitch says:

Would love to enjoy Edinburgh’s Hogmanay right in the heart of the city :)

224. Beth Randolph says:

My sisters attened the Tatoo last year and loved it! I would love to see it>

225. Tracy Davidson says:

I think the Edinburgh International Tango Festival sounds like fun.

226. Tracy Davidson says:

I like the sound of the Edinburgh Whisky Stramash, though I’ve no idea if it’s within the required 15 minutes walk (probably not after a few whiskies!).

227. Neil Hedge says:

Has to be the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, makes one proud to be British.

228. Laura Walker says:

It has to be the Fringe Festival!

229. Louise Smith says:

Santa Claus arriving at the gardens with the Reindeers, the ice-skating and all the activities

230. brenda heads says:

I would love to see the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, I used to go every year when I was alot younger.

231. miss lucy higgins says:

Definitely the Tattoo, I went about 15 years ago and loved every minute of it. This would be an amazing prize after finishing my degree at uni, I haven’t seen daylight in about 3 weeks as I have been slogging away doing my dissertation! :)

232. Tracy Davidson says:

Noah and the Whale at HMV Picture House in March.

233. Tracy Davidson says:

Jimmy Carr at the EICC in August.

234. katrina walsh says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo would be my choice :)

235. paula Burnside says:

I would love to see the military tattoo, I saw it a few years ago and it was fantastic!

236. Nuno Silva says:

Definitively the The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo!
    A very fond childhood TV memory

237. Emma Howard says:

Having seen the Military Tattoo only once before, I’d love to see it again

238. Anne E says:

I’d love to go to Edinburgh Tattoo

239. Isla Davidson says:

I would like to see the Britains Got Talent auditions

240. cag says:

Absolutely have to go to Jenners for afternoon tea

241. Allan Dixon says:

Love to go to the Edinburgh Book Festival, but what a choice to select from.

242. Aurelie Krahl says:

I would love to come to the Edinburgh festival and see the Tattoo. Edinburgh is such a beautiful city! I would love to come back!

243. rupert summerton says:

I would say Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo I have always wanted to see it live

244. Tracy Davidson says:

David Hasselhoff at Usher Hall on 26/2/12 (only joking!!).

245. Tracy Davidson says:

The Beltane Fire Festival sounds like fun.

246. Shelley White says:

I would love to see van Morrison at the Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre on Saturday 31st March.

247. Tim Turner says:

Hogmanay! A cliche, but why not?

248. Jane Morrice says:

There’s always lots to see in Edinburgh but I think I would plump for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Despite living in Scotland fopr almost 60 years, I’ve never seen it.

249. SARA TOUNSI says:

Edinburgh festival fringe in August. I have been 3 years in a row and think it is wonderful. Also my cousins live off Princes Street so would be ideal to visit them

250. Heather Simpson says:

Would love to see the fascinating Mummies Exhibition coming to the National Museum

251. Its gotta be the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, always wanted to go up and see that.

252. Tracy Davidson says:

Like everyone else I would love to experience the Military Tattoo live. Seen it on TV for years, would be great to see it in person for a change.

253. Joanna Coleshill says:

I’d love to go to the Tattoo!

254. Sonia Adkin says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo sounds a fantatic evening – oh if only.

255. Mark Tucker says:

Has to be the Book Festival

256. Tracy Davidson says:

As I’ve always got my nose in a book I’d like to visit the Edinburgh International Book Festival.

257. Claire Farren says:

It is not exactly an event but it would be lovely to enjoy a romantic valentines night in Edinburgh, dining out and returning to a beautiful hotel to relax without the travel and expense associated with such treats. However the Rock n Roll marathon would be great to see, excellent cause and done in a fun way!

258. ALISON MCAULAY says:

A visit to the comedy festival would be fantastic for me

259. Tony Weston says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

260. Amber R says:

I’d love to go to the Book Festival. I love reading and collecting books and have always wanted to go to Edinburgh.

261. Amber R says:

I’d also really like to go the Fringe Festival. I’m really into theatre and it would be a great chance to see up-and-coming original work.

262. Amber R says:

My friend went to Hogmanay this year and loved it, and my boyfriend went before he met me and says I would love it, so I’d love for us to go and see it together.

263. Amber R says:

I am obsessed with anything Christmassy so I would really enjoy seeing the Christmas markets and picking up a few gifts and treats.

264. Amber R says:

And one more…I would love to visit Edinburgh Castle, and perhaps coincide my visit with a trip to see Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds on 17th July, or at Christmas when I imagine it would look really pretty.

265. Norman Wagstaff says:

Would like to see out 2012 at the Greatest Street Party in The World

266. fiona mcbride says:

Lived in Glasgow all my life and never been to Edinburgh event so any would be a lovely experience

267. Kerry Black says:

My son is a magician and would love to go to see The Infamous Brothers Davenport at The Lyceum Theatre .That isan absolute gem of a venue-beautiful inside and out!

268. david cavender says:

Edinburgh Military Tatoo-such a glorious event-would love to be there.

269. Tracy Davidson says:

The Rock n’ Roll Edinburgh Half Marathon in April. Not to take part in it, as I’d probably pass out after a 100 metres! But I’d happily cheer on and support the competitors.

270. Michelle Tomlin says:

June 28th – 30th Scottish Real Ale Festival 2012 – I’ve always been a Guinness Lover but not one to shy away from new experiences, would love to see this fine Scottish city and sample some ales!

271. james p says:

the tattoo will do for me and my crew

272. Paul Spicer says:

The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo would be a wonderful thing to see live and in the flesh

273. Tracy Davidson says:

The Edinburgh International Science Festival should be interesting.

274. Bob M says:

There is nothing in the world to beat the Military Tattoo

275. Tracy Davidson says:

The Edinburgh International Magic Festival is on at the end of June / beginning of July. “You’ll like it but not a lot!” as the now fingerless Paul Daniels would say. Actually I think I’d like it a great deal.

276. Karen says:

I’d love to go to the Edinburgh Festival. I last went year’s ago and would love to go again

277. Andi says:

I’d love to see Scotland being triumphant at Murrayfield!! Am both looking forward to and dreading the 4th Feb!! Other than that, I’d love to go along to the tattoo right enough or an overnight ghost hunt in the vaults! x

278. Jim Adair says:

I would love to see the Edinburgh Jazz Festival again.

279. Carrie Brimmell says:

I went to the Edinburgh Festival back when I was 18 (I’m not disclosing how many years ago that was!) I’d love to be able to go back with my husband.

280. Caroline Scott says:

I’d love to go to the Tattoo – my grandad tells me it is the greatest spectacle he’s ever seen and says EVERYONE should see it at least once in their lives. Maybe 2012 will be my turn?

281. Mazzy Maclean says:

My book-a-holic mother and I would most like to go to the Book Festival!

282. Mazzy Maclean says:

Also the tattoo as I’m 23 now and have never been!

283. Mazzy Maclean says:

The edinburgh comedy festival would be fun, I have a friend in edinburgh i’d drag along to all the weird and wacky shows!

284. Mazzy Maclean says:

and last but by no means least HOGMANAY! in the capital?!? would be mega!!!!

285. barbara clarke says:

The military Tattoo. I went years ago and loved it and would love to take my husband to it as he’s never been

286. Jon says:

I’d like to go to the Edinburgh Fringe, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

287. lynne says:

would love to use the Old Waverley Hotel as a base for the Edinburgh Sparkles Treasure Hunt…….a lovely city in the run up to Christmas (and the nearer it is to Chrismas means it coincides with our wedding anniversary!)

288. Greig spencer says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

289. Greig spencer says:

Edinburgh Fringe

290. Greig spencer says:

Christmas markets

291. Greig spencer says:

Edinburgh International Magic Festival

292. Greig spencer says:

The Royal Highland Show.

293. Greig spencer says:

Edinburgh International Science Festival

294. Charlotte A says:

Definitely the Book Festival! I wish I didn’t live so far away!!

295. Lisa Wilkinson says:

I would like to go to The Book Festival

296. Mary says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

297. Ivar says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

298. Liz A says:

It has to be Princes St at midnight on Hogmanay!

299. michelle corbett says:

I would see the Edinburgh Fringe Festival – best thing around with loads of amazing street events and shows

300. Sarah says:

Always wanted to go to Edinburgh for new year so has to be the new years celebrations in the park.

301. peter says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

302. Paul von der Fecht says:

The Book Festival would be marvellous.

303. Catherine Cunningham says:

Pandas for me please. Would love the opportunity to visit them and explore the rest of the zoo. A trip to the museum would also be on my itinerary.

304. Liesl says:

The Fringe Festival, got the tail end of it once, left me wanting more.

305. Liesl says:

Shopping on Prince’s Street, always a treat.

306. Lisa Pardoe says:

I would love to see the Tattoo

307. Lisa Pardoe says:

I would also like to visit Edinburgh when the Fringe is on

308. lisa anderson says:

I’d love to go tot the Fringe Festival

309. Tracy Davidson says:

Edinburgh Festival of Music, Speech & Dance

310. Tracy Davidson says:

And the Film Festival in June.

311. Sue Cooper says:

I’d love to see the Royal Tattoo my brother went last year and he has totally amzed by the event and hasn’t shut up about it. I’m so jealous.

312. Mares says:

Military Tattoo would be my favourite

313. kathy Denton says:

I have been to Edinburgh many times and love it. Ironically i never been in summer though! Therfore I would love to go in summer and go to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe- 3rd – 27th August 2012….. Thats another on my wish list.

314. Victoria Lancaster says:

As Edinburgh is my favourite city to visit any time would be fantastic but in all the times I’ve been, it’s never been to the Tattoo so that would have to be my choice this year

315. Charlotte Jones says:

Being a HUGE Kaiser Chiefs fan, it would have to be their gig. I am lucky enough to have seen them live over 30 times (and am going again in a couple of weeks!) and would not be able to resist! :)

316. Liesl says:

Christmas markets sound good too.

317. Krissy Del Agua says:

Military Tattoo

318. Amanda Richardson says:

Would love to see the Edinburgh Military Tattoo

319. Cheryl M says:

I want to take my mother to see the military tattoo. She’s always wanted to go.

320. Kevin Smith says:

The Maccabees @ the HMV Picture House in March!

321. Kevin Smith says:

Noah and the Whale in March!

322. Kevin Smith says:

Bombay Bicycle Club in April!

323. Kevin Smith says:

Frankie Boyle @ the Playhouse

330. Kevin Smith says:

Kevin Bridges @ the Playhouse

331. Kevin Smith says:

Ross Noble in November

332. Paul M says:

The Royal Military Tattoo for me. My mum has been and said its amazing. Im really really envious I have not yet seen it so here’s fingers crossed I will

333. Nicola McLaren says:

I hail from Glasgow and yet have never experienced the magic of our countries capital (ridiculous I know), but I would love to see Frankie Boyle in concert before he retires :-). Good Luck everyone xx

334. kathleen hooper says:

I’d love to see anything that is happening during the Edinburgh fringe festival

335. Ray Fletcher says:

I would love to be able to see the Edinburgh Festival. I have a niece who has appeared in a few times and it would be nice to have the opportunity to see her this year

336. Kathryn Casbolt says:

I would love to see the Royal Military Tattoo.

I watch every year on TV but I would love to experience the atmosphere of thereal thing :-)

337. dana says:

The Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a great event which I’ve only seen on television

338. Tracy Davidson says:

Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August (and visit the Tattoo at the same time!).

339. Tracy Davidson says:

The Edinburgh Sparkles Treasure Hunt.

340. Jess B says:

So many to choose from…but top of my list must be the Military Tattoo

341. Tracy Davidson says:

Ceilidh Culture 16th March-15th April

342. Liz A says:

The Kaiser Chiefs – but hey any excuse to visit Edinburgh – it’s a great city!

343. Andrew Berry says:

I would love to see some of the events taking place when the Edinburgh International Film Festival is on. I love films and would love to see Edinburgh as I have never been…..yet!

344. Andrew Todd says:

The Military Tattoo to make a magnificent memorable impression.

345. Fiona Mallard says:

I would love to be there for Hogmanay this year

346. olivia kirby says:

The Edinburgh International Film Festival. That would be awesome :-)

347. olivia kirby says:

I would love to see the Kaiser Chiefs too. I had tickets for them once but was snowed in!

348. olivia kirby says:

I would also love the Arts Festival, anything like thatI love it’s my ‘thing’.

349. olivia kirby says:

I would love to attend the Edinburgh Fringe too

350. olivia kirby says:

The Edinburgh International Book Festival would grab my attention for sure. My biggest regret, not going to uni to study English Literature.

351. d mullooly says:

dig out some church classical concerts and a short trip out to the countryside

352. alan cushley says:

Aye got to be the tattoo

353. olivia kirby says:

I would love Edinburgh’s Hogmanay celebrations

354. olivia kirby says:

I know that i would really enjoy the international storytelling festival

355. olivia kirby says:

What a fab experience the Military Tattoo would be

356. Alastair Gillespie says:

Scotland thrash England at Murrayfield.
    Honest I am a very fast walker

357. lorraine polley says:

id love to see the Tattoo, as ive only ever seen it on telly! only ever been to edinburgh once and that was for a wedding, flew up, attended wedding and went home, not much of a trip!!

358. Jane Robertson says:

The grand opening of the Edinburgh Tram System would be wonderful to see!

359. L P Mulligan says:

IThe Edinburgh Festival Fringe as its is the world’s largest arts festival which is something very special that would be up my street!

360. Angie Hoggett says:

I would love to see the Military Tattoo, I watch it every year on TV but would really like to see it in real life.

361. Helen says:

I’d love to take my husband to the Military Tattoo, he watches it without fail on TV each year, it would be fabulous to surprise him with a trip

362. Helen says:

I’d love to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival; it’s the type of event that you laugh till your stomach muscles hurt, i’d love it

363. Darren Mckenzie says:

The Fringe festival would be great

364. Claire says:

I’d love to go to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, I think there’s something to suit everyone:)

365. Teresa Barnard says:

The Edinburgh Military Tattoo would be a must for me x

366. Rachel S says:

Book Festival, definintely!

367. Brenda Davies says:

Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Party in Princes Street please. I could catch up with all my cousins in Kirkcaldy

368. Christine Hobbs says:

Id love to see the Kaiser Chiefs in concert…but cant afford it due to lack of ‘Employment’, ‘Yours Truely, Angry Mob’

369. Ann Calland says:

Military Tattoo,instead of just watching it on the tele I would love to win a break to really soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it in person!

370. Kathleen Lynch says:

I just love the winding streets around Edinburgh, I would like to do a walking tour to discover more hidden parts of the city.

371. Linda Guest says:

I’d love to see the Fascinating Mummies exhibition that the National Museum of Scotland are hosting during the spring. THe collection looks amazing and there are interesting lectures I would love to attend.

372. CeeJey says:

I would love to experience any event, as I have never been here and would be amazing just to experience that in itself!

Many Thanks
    Courtney

373. Michael C. says:

Hogmanay as, if its really, really cold or wet outside, could always snuggle up warm and cosy in this room to enjoy the fireworks in luxury 😉

374. Sean Hubbard-Read says:

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

375. Sean Hubbard-Read says:

Hogmanay 2012/13

376. Helen Cruse says:

I’m a bit sad and tragic, but the combination of Edinburgh Castle Backdrop and Olly Murs, just makes me smile quite a lot!

377. Ian Lawrence says:

The military tattoo

378. Tracy Davidson says:

I’d love to celebrate Hogmanay in Edinburgh.

379. Tracy Davidson says:

The Australian Pink Floyd Show at the Playhouse on 26 February.

380. Liz A says:

Olly Murs & Edinburgh Castle – what a combination!

381. liz ferguson says:

I once went on a cruise around Scotland on the Waverley ship – that’s when I found out that I was no sailor – sea sick all the way – I could hardly wait for the gang-plank to go down, and was tempted to try and jump to land!

I think that the Waverley Hotel could make all of those horrible memories go away once and for all – it looks much more my cup of whiskey!

And, my daughter has been whinging for a tatoo … so I could tell her that I am taking her to Scotland for one. I’d love to see her face, when there’s no ink in the pen! But, she loves a good knees up, so I think she’ll get over it, pretty fast!

I’d love to wave goodbye to work & everyday life, and say a happy hello to the Waverley Hotel.

382. Maggie Osborn says:

I was going to say the CAMRA Real Ale Festival, but it’s more than 15 minutes’ walk! So, my second choice is the Beltane Fire Festival.

383. Daniel Rodgers says:

I’d love to see Truckfest on 4 – 5 August 2012 in Edinburgh

384. Judith Lightfoot says:

I watch the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo every year on the television. How wonderful it would be to experience the atmosphere for real!!!

385. Elaine Shaw says:

The Royal Military Tattoo – an event I’ve always wanted to go to, but never had the opportunity.

386. Angela Kate Webster says:

I’d like to visit the fringe festival again. Last time there was so much to see, I couldn’t get around in the time I had there

387. Pingback: Word Heritage Day in Edinburgh – 3rd June 2012 | The Edinburgh Hotels Blog