The Royal Commonwealth Pool (or the Commie Pool as it is know by locals) is to reopen after a major refurbishment that has taken more than 2 years and £38m to complete.
The Commie originally opened in 1970, the year Edinburgh hosted the Commonwealth Games, and was used again for the 1986 Commonwealth games. The Commie pool will be an official training site for the 2012 London Olympics.
The new Commie will have amazing facilities such as;
- A 50 metre pool with 8 lanes.
- A 25 metre teaching pool with moveable floor.
- A 25metre diving pool .
- A dive area for land based diving training.
- A modern gym filled with the latest technology – 70 pieces of new kit.
- Three fitness studios – hosting over 90 classes per week.
- A new changing village with specific areas for groups, and families.
- A brand new large cafe serving a full menu of food and drinks.
- A big soft play area with party room!
- Loads of parking for cars and bikes.